New Hybrid Cloud Solution for Dynamic Budgets (April 2020)
Due to Covid-19 many of our customers are now scrambling to support their staff working from home. While some customers have adequate VPN, Terminal Server, or Citrix capacity, other customers are facing challenges with slow network connections, sluggish SQL performance, or lack of available/affordable VPN/remote licenses.
In response, Dynamic Budgets has re-architected the product to be able to act as a data warehouse and run from a single Azure SQL database in the Microsoft Cloud.
Monthly hosting costs range from $30 – $100/ month (for unlimited users)
- Install a secure gateway application from Microsoft on a corporate server
- Choose how many years of data to transfer
- Monthly Account Balances
- Transaction Details
- Historical Budgets
- Initial data sync (approximately 5-15 minutes)
- Determine refresh schedule (daily, weekly, monthly, or on-demand) (approximately 5 mins each refresh)
- For new customers, Dynamic Budgets staff will configure your new environment (approximately 1 hour)
- Your staff can download the windows application to their laptops
Microsoft Azure Hosting Options:
The Azure SQL database can be hosted and managed by Dynamic Budgets, or can be installed and managed by your IT staff in your own Microsoft Azure account.
Azure SQL database configurations can be changed on the fly. You can start @ $30/month and allocate additional DTU processing resources to respond to an additional demand. Alternatively, you can choose a serverless configuration and allow Azure to auto adjust the processing and
memory allocations to respond to variable demand. Adjustments are made automatically, second by second, and the database can shut itself off after 1 hour of inactivity to minimize billing liability.
If run under your own Azure account, the database can be included in your virtual network. If hosted by Dynamic Budgets, the application will use a new online licensing system that will authenticate each user and track the user IP and MAC address. Optionally, user connections can be limited to specific IP addresses if required.
Links to Microsoft Details:
- Azure Runtime Integration (data gateway overview)
- Data transfer security
- Placing the Azure SQL DB within a Virtual Network
Your time is precious, if the application is running slowly please contact our team.
If you are running the application from your normal shortcut on your laptop’s desktop, that likely is not the best way to run the application if you are now working from home (typical symptoms: it takes 30+ seconds to open the login screen or open each new window).
You likely have several alternatives:
- If available, use Citrix, Terminal Server or another remote desktop or published apps solution to
run the app from within your core network. This should minimize network slowness between the app and the database.
- If your company has adequate bandwidth to support direct VPN connections and you have a fast internet connection at home, then we might recommend copying the Dynamic Budgets application from the network and pasting it on your laptop
If the application is responding normally (opening, logging in, transitioning from window to window) but reports are running much slower than normal:
- Ask your administrator to run the Optimize database routine
- If optimizing the database had no effect and GP and Management Reporter are also consistently running slower than normal throughout the day:
- Contact your GP partner or IT manager to check on the status of the SQL server
- Consider distributing the load, our new cloud solution mentioned above to remove some strain off the core transactional GP system.
Azure SQL databases can run with greater performance at a reasonable monthly cost